/ jaebrysonblog ************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************

Rant. Muse. Eat. Sleep. Recycle.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

No conservative left behind

In a variation on the Bushie's No Child Left Behind, but without the elements of scam, disingenuousness or downright cynicism, I say we have to save the conservatives from themselves.

Renegade Eye, one of the most thoughtful and precise bloggers I've had the pleasure to encounter, suggests it might be a waste of time to try to convert the unconverted. I disagree. While you can't spend all your time dragging a dead mule you have to pull on the rope a couple of times.

Not to do so is to fall into the conservative trap of "otherness." As in - 'those bastard conservatives!' But, otherness is a trick of the light. My good friend CB gleefully reminds me that the neocon movement is based on the thoughts of former liberals -- Jewish, East Coast Liberals, even! But, I refuse to see them as irredeemable.

I respect the intelligence of those founders of the neocon movement, but I despise their politics. Still, it's my belief they didn't suddenly wake up with a hard-on for Ronald Reagan (my God! That's distasteful image!) Over the course of their days, I'm sure traditional conservatives badgered, cajoled and pushed them incrementally to the dark side. Hell, not even Hitler woke up one day to be Der Fuehrer. It was a process.

Call me soft - and conservatives will do just that -- but you shouldn't leave even the CREATORS of darkness in the dark if you can help it. You should add your own little push to the process of their redemption. Most won't budge, but you've got to try. Mahatma Gandhi preached to the choir AND the oppressors. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s major triumph was convincing the unconvinced.

I think my challenge is to balance the actions I choose to take to help get us the hell out of hell with the proselytizing I do to.


link | posted by Jae at 7:02 AM |


2 Comments:

Blogger Frank Partisan commented at 9:44 PM~  

The people who turned into neocons were even in their days on the left, very anti-Soviet Union.

Whwn one does a political conversion, the seeds of the change, is in its former position.

John Steinbeck went from Grapes of Wrath to conservatism. Probably in his disguise on the left, you'll find anticommunism, American exceptionalism, etc.

If you change someone politically, it will be based on your agreements, not your arguments.

Blogger Craig Bardo commented at 8:15 AM~  

Jae & Olive,

You've given me reason to belly laugh (and with so much belly these days, that could be dangerous). I must be too naive, I just haven't met these evil conservatives of which you speak. It could be that I'm too close and I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

Ren,

It's not that deep!

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela