/ jaebrysonblog ************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************

Rant. Muse. Eat. Sleep. Recycle.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Litmus test

I know I am going to get a lot of flak from people who believe that I'm being unpatriotic -- but I don't care. If Zacarias Moussaoui gets a death sentence, then I have to believe we have traveled much further down than that wrong road than I even believed was possible. I don't hate America, but I really hate what it has become in this "enlightened" Republican Age. In two decades of power for Republican politics --and particularly right wing politics -- we have seen little but losses. We have lost pride; we have lost perspective; we have lost leadership and we've lost connection with each other as Americans.

I used to think being African American meant having to fight for inclusion in this society; I don't think that is as true as it once was. Not because there isn't racism, but because there are some serious anti-human forces out there, working hard to marginalize all but the rich. Lots of white kids are dying in Iraq and the powers that be don't give a rat's ass unless it makes them look bad. Lots of white parents now can't afford to send their kids to school. Lots of white, middle-class workers have lost their jobs or can't afford health care. 'Tough,' says this regime.

As for me being African American, I have to wait in line for my abuse just like everybody else.

What we have to show for GOP largesse is a chasm between the rich and not-rich. Our environment is an afterthought. Rampant corruption has jaded us to its presence and lies are this regime's stock in trade. I call it the New Christian Ideal, since DeLay, Frist, Cunningham, Bush, Cheney et al all cry out hosannas to the Lord.

So, poorer, uninsured, buffeted by high gas prices, alarmed by a war with no end and armed with only one absolute certainty -- that the country's rulers will lie to me --I am obsessed with the case of Moussaoui. Why? Because, I don't want us to budge another step down that road of vengeance for PR's sake.

Killing Moussaoui is a bread and circuses ploy. We would be killing someone who everyone admits killed no one. Perhaps you believe his death would be "battlefield justice," a bullet to the head for not divulging information. But, this is no war, anymore than the war on drugs is a war. It is a marketing machine making companies like Halliburton, McDonnell Douglas, Rolls Royce and Boeing rich beyond reason. We don't need another martyr. We've got plenty -- young Afghani and Iraqi girls and boys, mothers, fathers, uncles, cousins... pick one. They're already dead.

It's time to be America, again. Let Moussaoui live.


link | posted by Jae at 9:28 AM |


1 Comments:

Blogger Frank Partisan commented at 8:01 PM~  

Your posts on this subject, are the best in blogdom.

You are correct he doesn't deserve the death penalty. He is a weak link. Who will campaign for justice for him?

Regards.

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela