/ jaebrysonblog ************** REMOVE THIS TO UNHIDE THE BLOGGER NAVBAR **************** **/ #b-navbar {height:0px;visibility:hidden;display:none} /** *************************************************************************

Rant. Muse. Eat. Sleep. Recycle.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

'Tis the Season

'Tis the season to go shopping, see Santa Claus, eat too much, argue
about what to call the tree and how to greet one another. 'Tis the
season to hope for snow (where possible), nice smells, decorating and
raising money for the less fortunate. 'Tis the season of A Christmas
Carol, The Grinch and Frosty the Snowman. 'Tis also the season for
Holiday tournaments, BCS games and e-commerce. I'm ok with all of that.

However, I am truly surprised that A Charlie Brown Christmas was aired
here in Nashville last week. It was not edited for the words 'God' or
'Christ,' they were actually permitted. When Charlie Brown asks in
desperation, "Doesn't anyone know the true meaning of Christmas?" Linus
answered from the book of Luke chapter 2 verses 8-14.

Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. Then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: Glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace, goodwill toward men!"

Although it is not likely to have occurred during the winter, I believe
it happened just as Dr. Luke recounts. Its significance to me is
everything. Because, before time God created the heavens and the earth.
As Chris Tomlin penned: "King of all days oh so highly exalted, glorious
in heaven above. Humbly he came to the earth he created, all for love's
sake became poor."

The God I worship is an inclusive God; "whosoever believeth in Him
shall not perish but have everlasting life." He is a God who is not
confined merely to the words in a Holy book. Evidence that He is, is
everywhere. Science can't explain it or explain it away. Skeptics can't
obscure His light and goodness.

So let the Holiday cards be mailed and let the office parties begin.
Let the ACLU remove nativity scenes, let the grown men sleep in the
streets to get a video game for their own use. Whether it's X-mas
season, Easter or Halloween, I will worship Jesus because of all that
He's done for me.

-- Posted by CB


link | posted by Jae at 10:41 AM |


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 12:13 PM~  

That's your right. Merry Christmas, CB.

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 6:08 PM~  

I am pretty sure the ACLU only concerns itself with nativity scenes when they occur on public versus private property.

Using a [public building and taxpayer money to give preferential treatment or promotion of one religion over others violates the establishment clause of the US Constitution.

I dont think we want public money favoring anyone in a country of freedom. And I would argue that this thinking at times helps the religious community. Where my rights are protecting, yours are as well. Thats my thinking.

I say this because people typically mischaracterize the point of actions by groups like the ACLU and portray themselves as persecuted or victimized as though people are grabbing Jesus from their yards and throwing them in jail,

I honestly think the Constitution should be taught in Preschool and every year thereafter.

I am upset that the Heat Meiser wasn't mentioned.
"wahtever I touch, turns to slush in my clutch. I'm too much!" Thats a great Christmas show.

Blogger Graeme commented at 9:35 PM~  

They play that Charlie Brown christmas in North Dakota as well. I haven't seen it this year but many others I have.

I go to Manitoba for Christmas (my mom's Canadian) and I think I even saw it on tv there once, and they are mostly godless I believe.

Blogger Craig Bardo commented at 11:37 AM~  

Thank you Olive,

Merry Christmas to you all!

Blogger troutsky commented at 10:05 PM~  

I love the show where Jimmy Stewart sends the nasty banker packing and uses the money for the good of the people! Merry Christmas to you CB, and while I don't worship Jesus, I sure try to live like he proscribed. Prince of Peace and all that.

Blogger Frank Partisan commented at 1:52 PM~  

Holiday Greetings

Want to Post a Comment?

powered by Blogger | designed by mela